Tuesday, November 29, 2011

FAA to (finally) publish rules on drone use?

This weekend the Los Angeles Times did an article on commercial use of drones, which is not currently allowed. (Article can be found here)

The article lists several civilian uses, such as law enforcement and agricultural uses. The comment section is full of misunderstanding and paranoia. It seems that people think these devices can just hover in the air indefinitely. I would guess that they would probably have a different opinion if they knew that flight time was limited to 20 minutes.

IS2007-7298
Constructing a military drone. Photo by Pierre Gazzola
 Obviously, I am all for clear and usable regulations for RC Multicopters and UAV drones. But I am also aware that existing laws governing expectation of privacy and photography still protect people, even if there is new technology. I can't climb a tree in your yard now and shoot pictures through your bedroom window. Tomorrow I won't suddenly be able to take the same pictures just because I use a drone instead of climbing the tree myself.

 It is unclear to me why privacy concerns are among the considerations of the FAA's regulations. Federal law touches very rarely on privacy matters. Instead states legislate these issues. Outside of surreptitiousness wiretapping and medical privacy, citizens are generally just left with state laws covering Peeping Toms, recorded phone calls and other privacy issues.

Obviously cameras can't be banned on drones and RC: FPV piloting depends on having eyes built into the device. Yet paranoid scenarios sort of miss out on the idea that aerial surveillance (police or civilian) still falls under existing laws that limit what people can do. I guess we'll know in less than two months, but I am worried now that the money I have spent so far will be wasted it my intended project is too heavily regulated.

Launching a UAV drone. Photo by Larry Zou.

No comments:

Post a Comment