Monday, November 7, 2011

Who am I and what do I want a multicopter for?

My name is Todd Gardiner and I am a both a professional photographer and a software test lead. I like to work so much I have two jobs. I also go to Burning Man; ten years running now.

I specialize in documentary photography and shooting events. You can see my photography here:
http://thebes-inc.smugmug.com/

I want a hexacopter (maybe an octo) to lift my Canon 60D into the air for aerial photography and video. Hopefully I can even turn that into a business model, but that's going to take a while. The laws on commercial use of RC aircraft are still in limbo, although I am allowed to shoot things for my own purposes and even sell that footage. But operating for-hire could become illegal.

I don't know much about electronics. I have done some simple circuits, rigged lighting for things, played with EL-wire, but I have not worked with microcontrollers, radio control (RC), or other electronics. I'm not skilled at soldering, but I've done it before. I don't know the programming language and tools that Arduino uses, but most of my coding skills have been learned by playing with existing code; since there is already code for controlling an Arduino-based multi-copter, I should be okay here if I go slowly and test as I go.

So, if you are like me, this might be a good blog for you. I am about to embark on reading up on multicopters, selecting hardware, and then building my device. One day you too might be able to get your camera into the air.

--Todd

No comments:

Post a Comment