Friday, December 16, 2011

Friday links and video 12-16-11

Hexacopter seen in Moscow protests.
A hexacopter was "unidentified" as a UFO over the Moscow protests this week. Here is a blurb and video from the Telegraph in the UK.

Non-profit looks at UAV use.
Non-profit Matternet is investigating the use of UAVs for point-to-point delivery in roadless areas. This group is centered on the idea that distribution networks are the missing link is lifting rural areas out of poverty (no pun intended). Initially, they are looking at medical and emergency supply delivery.

Video cranes
I saw an ad for this, probably because it is tied to aerial photography/videography: Kessler Jibs and Cranes.


That sucker costs about twice what I have put into my project so far and probably exceeds my final costs. Sure, it lifts 20lbs, but it is limited to 19 ft of lift and only pivots around that tripod. I'll be able to lift a 3lb DSLR for video 200+ ft in the air and have total movement. I can "dolly" around a subject, which this thing can't do. And my rig will fit into the trunk of my car. Best advantage of the dolly: it's silent. Multicopters have prop noise to deal with.

Timelapse skylines
Kessler did lead to this video about a project using their gear. Not quite aerial, but in my field of interest.


"Orbital" Citibank / JFK Installation from Rama Allen on Vimeo.

"Constructicons"
Here is an awesome project in which a team turns quadcopters into an autonomous construction team to produce aerially constructed sculptures. Read the whole article, of just sample the project with this video (one of two on that webpage).




1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog and got caught up. Thanks so much for keeping up with it! I'm just about in the same position as you were in when you started (minus any kind of programming knowledge), so it is super helpful to see how you're choosing to whittle down the overwhelming amount of info out there. Hopefully, I won't be too far behind you!

    ReplyDelete