Monday, December 5, 2011

Hot metal

Soldering is a little smelly and you risk burns, especially when inexperienced. I managed to get away uninjured (this time), but I've got some more soldering to go.

Today's post would be impossible without the guides provided on Frank's great Instructables step-by-step and a viewing of the YouTube videos found at the bottom of his tutorial.

Click on any image to see it larger.

Using three-in-one bullet connectors.

Connections consist of: motor, bullet connectors, ESC, more bullets, battery

Motor and ESC aligned on my soldering rig

Close-up of male-end bullet connectors in soldering rig (a block or firewood with holes drilled into it.

Three down, 21 to go...

Motor and ESC bullet connectors aligned and ready for connection.

All motors are now connected to the ESCs, which have their power connectors  ready to go.

It took about 70 minutes to get the work space set up (a cooking term called mise en place applies here) and to finish the soldering. I have another session tonight when I create the "power spider" for the entire rig.

Hopefully the triple connectors will make it clear which wire goes where on the ESCs. For two motors, I flipped two leads, so that should make these two motors spin in the opposite direction from the other two. Since the quadcopter needs two clockwise and two counter-clockwise motors, as long as I didn't screw that up I should be set.

Given that screwing it up means unsoldering and resoldering two bullet connectors, Murphy's Law suggests that I probably screwed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment