Tuesday, December 20, 2011

So...all put together.

So...all put together.

But nothing works.

It seems to be a lack of power to the ESCs. There should be a chime or lights or something when they are first plugged in, but I'm getting nothing. The battery charger indicates both that it charged the LiPo and that it is full. So I'm guessing that there is some fault with the power distribution spider.

I'm going to have to tear the rig apart and make an individual test of a single motor plus ESC plus battery and see what I get. Which means a new set of leads to solder, but that's becoming routine by now.

Let's look at the work I did this weekend.

Motors start with the axle sticking out the mounting end. This does not work for a multicopter, so the axles have to be knocked through and re-pinned. In this picture, you can see a finished motor on the left, with the original state (plus soldered on connectors) on the right.


Let's look at these pins more closely. (Cut to macro photos)
A pin is mounted in a groove, holding the inner and outer bodies of the motor together.

Pin was removed, screw lock on other end loosened, then axle knocked down to end-of-axle groove and re-pinned.
Then mounting bracket was screwed on and motor is ready for attaching to quadcopter arms.

The entire body of the quadcopter is done. All of the components are on and attached. Here is the final look (before I tear it apart to figure out why it is not working).

Quadcopter, without props

View through protective cage at the simple flight controller from HobbyKings.

An ESC stuffed into an arm of the quad, with triple connectors going to the motor.
I have holiday plans interfering this week. (*cough* Still need to buy gifts for family...) So little work will be done on the project until I get home on Christmas afternoon.

Meanwhile, I tested out the light camera intended for this first flying platform. I strapped a Contour GPS to my Santa hat and went on a pub crawl. There were technical issues and I did not have a lot of time for editing, so I just hacked together this crappy video so that I had some idea of what my wearable action cam was going to produce.

[Video in the process of uploading to YouTube.]

No comments:

Post a Comment